General planning tips that cover any type of trip whether you are visiting a new city, a new country, or even re-visiting a favorite destination.
- Start following Instagram and TikTok accounts for the country and cities you plan on visiting months in advance. Save what you are interested in to refer back to while you are on your trip. We also follow news accounts for that country or city to have basic knowledge of current events.
- Post on your social media “Give me travel tips for [insert city or country]”. People love to share their recommendations and since you know the person it, gives you peace of mind that it’s a credible place to visit or stay.
- Bring laundry pods if you know your accommodations will have a washer. This also allows you to pack lighter since you can wear outfits multiple times without having to purchase a huge gallon of laundry detergent you will barely use. We once paid $10 for a small baggie of laundry detergent in Hawaii that lasted two cycles.
- Research events happening in the cities you are visiting for the days you will be there. We have gone to concerts while traveling and sometimes it can be cheaper to see your favorite artist in another country.
- We have booked many Airbnb experiences on trips. We’ve booked everything from walking tours, boat tours, secret beach picnics, llama farm tours, tuk-tuk tours, etc.
- Use Airbnb experiences to find photographers located in the destination you are visiting. It’s an affordable option to get great pictures of you and the city you are exploring. Usually, it’s a 30-minute to a one-hour photoshoot in pre-determined locations. Make sure to check if they only provide the raw photos or if they also edit the photos. Confirm if it’s a private shoot or a group shoot where they also photograph others.
- FlightAware tracks where your flight is and where it is coming from. This can help you figure out why your flight might be delayed. All you need is your flight number!
If you are headed on an international trip then make sure to check out our international travel tips post.